Target Audience, Piers Morgan & a Vegan Sausage Roll
I never thought I’d write a blog post that featured Piers Morgan & target audience in the title!
You may have seen the recent news that Greggs are now offering (in some shops, not all of them) a vegan sausage roll. Great news I say! And Mr Morgan has tweeted his views about this.
Now clearly what Piers Morgan doesn’t understand is, target audience. With a growing number of people now choosing a vegan lifestyle or opting for a ‘meat free monday’ and the sign up for Veganuary going through the roof, clearly there’s a market for this.
As business owners (like Greggs) we need to be aware who our target audience is, how new clients find us, what their needs are, how are we to solve their problems. Also appreciating how our existing clients requirements evolve or transform over time. We have to take action to provide for our target market as their businesses change. Our target audience will evolve over time too just like Greggs has.
So how do you determine your target audience. Here are a few suggestions;
- look at your current customers
- start to segment them into gender, location & type of business
- what needs does your product or service fulfill
- how much do they spend on your product or service
- understand who your competitors are and how to stand out from their offerings
- try to visualise your customer as a real person and work out their values, hobbies & lifestyle traits
- determine your message so your target audience understands exactly what your offering
- collect the data! Either from surveys, Google Analytics, social media insights or email marketing campaign report stats
Don’t assume that just because you don’t want a vegan sausage roll that none of your customers won’t either. You are not your target audience and neither is Piers Morgan.